October 27, 2014

Seasons Wii-tings II: Wii Harder


Because if it’s worth doing once, it’s worth doing again.

I’m on record of saying (elsewhere, but probably here as well) that the DS is probably one of my favorite gaming systems ever.  I’d think that it goes beyond the DS being my first handheld, though; its library of games isn’t just massive, but full of high-quality titles.  It was a platform for creativity, and new ideas; the Big N gave developers a new canvas, and plenty of times that canvas was put to work in the best possible way.

Part of the reason why I bought into what the Wii U was selling is because the second it was revealed, I thought to myself “Oh, so it’s like a giant DS.  Say no more.  I got it.”  And I do get it, even to this day.  I won’t deny that Nintendo’s latest console has had -- and is largely still in -- a rough patch, but to me, it seems like it’s a parallel to the DS’ opening years.  At the outset, that two-screened handheld looked like a waste of time and money, with no chance of delivering on its lofty promises.   But as Chef Gordon Ramsay often says, “It’s not how you start, but how you finish.”

Will the Wii U ever get the love and respect that it’s hungry for?  I don’t know.  But I sure hope so, because DAMN does it have some good games.


I’ve suggested to a friend that even if the Wii U doesn’t exactly have a massive library (which admittedly it should have thanks to its head start this generation), said library still beats the pants off those of the Xbone and PS4.  Is that going to stay true forever?  Probably not.  But considering the massive drought of games this past summer -- and largely into fall -- the gap has been narrowed.  And naturally, it’s about the quality of those games, not the quantity.  Oh no, the Wii U isn’t getting Thief 4 or Murdered: Soul Suspect!  Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

I’ve made my issues with a LOT of eighth-gen games, and that’s not a good place for anyone to be in -- least of all for a console that’s sold upwards of ten million units despite severely lacking a killer app…or even just a game that’s a genuine must-buy.  Compare that to the Wii U.  I could rattle off an increasingly-lengthy list of games that are top-of-the-line work, not one of which has come even close to being a disappointment.  I’d bet that plenty of review scores can confirm that as well; nines and tens all across the board.


I’m not so tone-deaf as to claim that Nintendo hasn’t made any mistakes with their new console.  But for what it’s worth?  What they’ve offered here, even in such turbulent times, stands for something.  It’s proof that they don’t just want to make a profit, or get potential players on that hamster wheel.  They want to get the most out of the medium, on their terms -- and just like before, they’ve created a platform to make that possible for others.  That noble sentiment, combined with their  stupidly-good library, deserves to be celebrated.

And that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

The holidays are approaching us yet again -- and with them come an onslaught of game releases.  And while consoles and devs alike want nothing more than to earn your favor, I’d argue that the Wii U has already earned it.  They’ll have games worth your time, just as they have for at least a year now.  So, in light of that, I’m going to offer up a string of posts as to why the Wii U makes the most compelling argument for hungry gamers looking to be sated.

So basically, it’s time for some S-tier fanboy shilling.  #GoodGuyNintendo


But it’s cool.  Probably.

So, I hope you’ll come along for the ride.  Whether you’ve got an interest in the Wii U or not, the games themselves offer up plenty of good talking points.  I’ll do what I can to hit as many as possible, so here’s hoping that -- should you feel like a good(ish) read -- you can walk away with some new ideas in mind.  Count on that, even if you’re not willing to count on Nintendo.

So.  What’s up first, then?


*gasp* Is this game gonna get Groose DLC?  It should.

No comments:

Post a Comment