July 25, 2019

Let’s discuss Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Part 1).


So I finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night a couple of weeks ago, and…

Well…

Hmmmm.

I feel like this is the kind of post that might make me a lot of enemies, so let me choose my words very carefully here.  Also, I’ll go ahead and switch to the Royal Guard style, just in case.


There are at least two things I’ve learned while writing junk on the internet.  Or maybe I’ve just learned two things period, but semantics.  The first is that you have to make your statements as clear as possible, so your intent and overall message don’t get misconstrued along the way.  In the absence of tone and physical expression, there’s a lot you have to do for typing to convey your meaning.  The second?  Don’t dump on the nostalgia of others, especially if you’re an outsider looking in.  Writing about Star Wars: The Force Awakens taught me that in an instant, to the point where it’s still kind of an old shame of mine.

It’s even harder than ever before, I think.  In the general sense, obviously; internet culture has always been dangerously volatile and oddly confrontational, so that seemingly innocuous comments on a website can turn into paragraphs-long back-and-forth debates.  I don’t think I even need to mention that polarized e-cliques don’t help matters (even though I just did); it’s hard enough for others to see eye to eye in the real world, and even harder when two opposing forces are arguing under the assumption that they’re 100% in the right.

But to bring it back to Bloodstained?  It’s even worse.  It’s the spiritual successor to a franchise abandoned and left to rot in the streets by its parent company!  It’s the triumphant return of the creator who helped establish an entire subgenre of platformers!  It’s the product of fans sharing their love, energy, and money, to the point where it was formerly the most well-funded game in Kickstarter history!  It’s safely in the green zone on Metacritic!  What’s not to love, unless you’re playing the Switch version?  Well, as it turns out, there’s no need to worry, fear, or despair.

Need a thesis statement from me?  Here it is.  Bloodstained is a good game.


But for me, personally, I wouldn’t rate it much higher than that.



Now hold on.  Stop right there.  Let me elaborate.  I’m not saying this game is overhyped, or overrated, or anything like that.  I’m not saying it’s bad, or disappointing, or whatever negative connotation you want to assign.  Don’t put words in my mouth, because if you had to put me in a camp, I’d belong in the positive one.  Alongside all the yay-sayers.  Let’s get that right immediately.  The only difference is that my like and appreciation of the game isn’t absolute.  I have issues that keep it from being a top-tier winner.  And to be clear, they’re not objective truths.  Everything is subjective -- even if there’s reasoning behind it -- and you should treat it as such.  Okay?  Okay.

Here’s the setup.  You play as Miriam, a “Shardbinder” who was once used as a pawn by villainous alchemists to maintain power in a changing world -- and in doing so, they found ways to unleash a demonic apocalypse upon the earth.  While Miriam went to sleep for a decade and the alchemists cleaned up the mess they made, another Shardbinder, Gebel, stuck around and went on to unleash his own apocalypse -- complete with a sprawling castle and hordes of vile creatures that have razed the land.  Now it’s up to Miriam to go all one-woman army on the forces of evil, even if it means taking out her old friend.

Well, there’s your setup.  Anything to get you in another castle to explore, huh?


I don’t think I’d be saying anything controversial by claiming that Bloodstained takes a decisive “gameplay first” mentality.  You’re going to be spending a huge amount of your play time -- anywhere from 10 to 15 hours -- traversing the castle grounds, clearing out demons, finding treasure and hidden goodies, et cetera.  If you’ve played one of the other Castlevania games, or just a Metroidvania-type in general, then you know exactly what you’re getting into.  It’s worth noting, of course, that this game has legally-distinct versions of some of the classics.  No Medusa Heads to screw up your platforming; this time you’ve got “Dullahan Heads” that fulfill the exact same function in the exact same context.

I guess some devs just graduated from the Institute of Game Design for Assholes.  But I digress.

I’d say that one of the strongest elements Bloodstained has going for it is its customization.  My guess is that no two players have Miriams that are exactly the same, since there’s a multitude of RPG-like stats.  Irrespective of however you make her look aesthetically with hairstyles, palette changes and accessories, Miriam provides enough variability to let you create a build suited to your play style.  Want a magic user who can shoot from afar?  You got it.  Want to get up close and personal with a flurry of kicks that’d make Chun-Li jealous?  It’s yours.  For me, I went with a tank build, complete with a great sword (a holdover from my Dawn of Sorrow days) that sacrificed speed for attack power, attack range, and the general ability to withstand hellspawn haymakers to the face.


There are plenty of nuances to pore over in your quest for power and the perfect Miriam.  You’ve got tons of weapons to choose from, techniques to learn along the way, and little tricks you can use to maximize damage output and/or minimize damage taken.  A quirk of the great swords I found is that the attack duration is long enough to let you -- with the right spacing and positioning -- get a two-for-one deal on attacks if you hit with the tip.  I’d bet there are even more tricks you could master with backdash-cancelling (which admittedly I didn’t bother with, because TANK AND TANK).  And beyond that?  You can use the starting kung fu shoes’ triple kick -- a rekka if there ever was one -- to reach spaces in the early game that’d otherwise need a double jump at a minimum.

That’s not even getting into the real star of the show here: the Shards.  Much like Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Miriam has a chance to absorb power from enemies, giving her unique magic attacks, familiars, passive boosts, buffs, and traversal abilities as she treks through Gebel’s swanky bachelor pad.  You have many to choose from, even if you’re not guaranteed to get everything by way of drop rates (pretty sure you can get a Shard that lets Miriam shred on a guitar), so that’s another layer of customization on top of an already robust set of variables.  Granted, you’ll want to pick the right Shards for the situation, but the point stands.  Bloodstained gives players plenty of toys to play with, no question.  On that front, I’m pretty satisfied.


It’s all in service of exploring the castle, which is a highlight in its own right, for sure.  I mean, I’m inclined to ask how one building could house a cathedral, a desert, a volcanic cavern, pseudo-Japan, and an icy wasteland, but it’s probably not worth worrying about when the whole game is built around alchemy.  So whatever, it’s magic.  And also a video game, so of course there’s gotta be a lava level.  No one can say that there’s a lack of variety, though. 

While I wouldn’t say that the actual platforming is a challenge, it’s not like it was supposed to be.  It’s more about clearing gauntlet after gauntlet of enemies in typically-close quarters, efficiently dispatching them until you can reach the next save point or warp to take you back to town.  Side note?  By and large, the save points are spaced out pretty much perfectly; they’re there when you need them most, to the point where you can actively time how long it’ll be before you can reach another one.  (I want to say “six minutes”, but I won’t commit to that number.)

Of course, the customization is in service of traversing the castle’s gauntlets -- and traversing the castle’s gauntlets is in service of taking out those bosses.  There are some wily demons out there, from speedsters that’ll tackle you at the speed of light to twin dragons that hungrily chase you up a tower.  Like any good game of the type, beating them comes down to you being able to answer three questions with a resounding “yes”.  Have you prepared enough beforehand?  Do you have the resources to patch yourself up if things go sour?  Are you able to learn attack patterns and adapt to enemy strategies?  You’ll probably take some knocks along the way, but for the most part, the challenge with them -- and Bloodstained as a whole -- is just right.

…Well, until it isn’t.


The fundamental premise behind this game is that you’re tasked with braving a nearly-endless cavalcade of horrors, traps, and monsters on your way to the end credits.  Your reward for clearing one challenge is the gift of another -- alongside more appreciable treats like a new location, and new powers to stuff inside your toy box.  But at a base level, trials beget trials.  I’d say that when that cycle, that premise, and that promise are broken, the game -- any game -- suffers.  Given my experience, I can’t say Bloodstained is an exception.

It’s exceedingly easy to make Miriam OP.  And not OP in an entertaining way, like Final Fantasy VII or Octopath Traveler.  Your variables and arsenal are such that, in no time at all, you’ll have a setup that turns the gauntlets into cakewalks.  The question of “How am I going to make it through this area?” can and will be solved the same time, every time, with “Oh, wait, I can just do this.  Okay, next.” The Teps Oceus spell hits everything on the screen with lightning, and you don’t even have to aim; if your stats (and the requisite Shard you can upgrade) are high enough, you can basically clear out a room with one button press. 


Heretical Grinder is an early-game Shard that summons a whirling sword you can thrust at enemies.  Level it up, and its size, range, and damage output increase -- but since it does damage over time on contact, it’s a stunningly-good tool to use against bosses while you tack on extra melee damage.  Riga Stormaea is a problem solver (so much so that it got nerfed in a recent patch); once upgraded, you can fill a huge chunk of the screen with towering flame pillars, and their duration means you’re getting extra hits per pop.  Well before the endgame, I didn’t even have to think anymore.  Just hit that Triangle button, shout “RIGA STORMAEA!” and then go about my business.

Enemies can’t keep up with you.  The most they can hope for is that you run out of healing items -- the stock of which you’ve mercifully got a hard cap on, lest you capitalism your way through every encounter.  Unless you’re asleep at the wheel, running out of healing items before you need to restock isn’t much of a concern (least of all because you can heal up anyway if you’ve got the right Shard and a decent amount of patience). 


It’s an issue that exposes a weak point in Bloodstained, if not the whole Metroidvania subgenre: if you’re not being stimulated by area exploration and gauntlet-clearing, then say goodbye to your fun.  And be sure to stab it in the heart if and when you have to backtrack to figure out where you need to go next…because, by necessity, you’ll have to mow through even weaker enemies the second or third go-round.

Also, I don’t want to make a big deal out of it because I haven’t gotten hit with the worst of it, but I did run into some technical issues.  Far be it from me to criticize input text, but there’s punctuation and sometimes entire words missing in some of the dialogue.  There’s a persistent glitch I ran into where item drops would get stuck on the level’s geometry.  Critically, I had to mash my way through the ending of the game because the sound effect of the final boss’ last attack/death blared over everything.  It wouldn’t be the first time a last boss glitch interfered with an ending; my dance party at the end of Saints Row 4 was soured by my Boss having the head of an alien conqueror grafted to her hand.


Eh, close enough.

The harshest thing I can say about Bloodstained’s gameplay is that it loses momentum.  There’s still a high amount of value to be had in its castle exploration, taking on foes and gaining more power as you take in the sights and sounds.  Nobody can take that away from the devs, least of all me.  But speaking personally?  After a certain point, the magic started wearing off.  When the bosses started feeling more like a formality than a threat, when the enemies were just gravel in the road I could trample, when the gothic horror became as fearsome as a trip to the grocery store -- that’s when the fun had decidedly waned.  What started off as a journey I was eager to undertake day after day eventually turned into an act of compulsion.  I wanted to beat it because…well, it was there and I hadn’t beaten it yet.

It's at this point -- well, no, it’s been well before this point that I asked myself a question.  A thought.  An inquiry that I needed to have answered, for the sake of tying a bow on this title.  As someone with no undying, decades-long loyalty to the Castlevania series -- as someone who isn’t that well-versed in Metroidvania games -- I can’t help but wonder.  Certainly, Bloodstained is a return to form, a revival of something loved by fans the world over.  But did it do enough to truly shine past its dire circumstances?  Is there more to it than just being the phoenix born from the ashes of Konami’s mismanagement?  Is it doing more than just filling the nostalgia-dug hole left by its ancestor’s absence?  Is it truly pushing the spirit, and the genre forward?


I don’t have an answer to that…yet.  But maybe I will next time.  Because hey, at least there’s that gripping story, right?

... 

At least there’s that gripping story, right?


…I’m gonna make so many enemies, aren’t I?


No comments:

Post a Comment