July 18, 2019

Jackknifed by Politics



Honestly?  I thought we’d be done by this point.  Guess that was naïve of me.

As the self-proclaimed Eternal Optimist, I’m known to have high hopes in the direst of situations.  The political climate right now is one of them, and it has been -- or had been -- for years.  The Oval Office is still being occupied, as of writing, by a guy who I once knew best (by virtue of not being born, an infant, and a child, in no particular order) as that guy from that one reality TV show on a channel I couldn’t get to come in clearly on my TV.  That’s not a great look for the country.  I still remember my reaction on Election Night when it became increasingly clear that Trump somehow carved out a win: I internally thought “Oh.  Oh no.  No, no, no, no.  Oh shit.” In that order.  And then, as is often the case when I get bad news or otherwise face quasi-impending doom, I had to rush to the bathroom to void my colon.

I thought that things would even out in the end.  That the system of checks and balances would keep Trump and his worst impulses in check.  That didn’t happen.  I thought that the Democrats and Republicans would be able to work together and do what’s right for the country.  That didn’t happen.  I thought that impeachment -- justified for any number of reasons -- would lead to him getting booted out of the hot seat.  That didn’t happen.  I thought that the Mueller report would seal his fate.  That the Democrats retaking the House would settle things.  That his weekly, sometimes daily controversies would make him too toxic to keep around.  Didn’t happen, didn’t happen, didn’t happen.

Now we’re a country whose stability, values, alliance, and future are all getting body-slammed by one feisty orange boi. 

Where do I even begin?  Well, I guess it’s with a clarification: as easy as it is to blame all of the country’s ills on Trump (and by extension, assume that everything will be okay when (if?) he’s gone), he’s not the only one we should glare at right now.  Billionaire donors pulling the strings from the shadows; news networks and right-wing journalists spreading propaganda; interference from abroad, itself espousing an uncomfortable truth about how vulnerable we are.  And of course, we have the overwhelming majority of an entire political party who have basically turned their back on the common man to…I don’t know.  Hold onto power?  Make more money?  Punish their rivals and anyone they don’t like?  I mean, it seems like a pretty bad exit strategy to systematically destroy America and the planet when you kinda-sorta need a place to live.  Power and money won’t save you from polar vortexes or Death Valley-level conditions on an average Wednesday afternoon.  Or death, put more simply.

Maybe this is me being an idiot, but I would have thought that those in power -- thanks to money, power, prestige, whatever -- would care about their legacy.  Yeah, we’ve got senators and reps who won’t be alive to see the chaos they’ve wrought, but history won’t be kind to them.  And even overlooking the anxiety that would come from knowing there are so many people who hate and will hate you, past, present, and future, a lot of these guys are working under the assumption that they’ll never, ever face consequences.  That they’ll be able to retire or pass peacefully, surrounded by money.  How have these guys -- men deep into their sixties -- made it through so many days, knowing full well that only the most desperate tactics and exploitations are keeping the house of cards standing?

I guess the obvious answer is “because so many of them are evil”.  That’s a gross oversimplification, but, well, it’d explain a lot.

Like why we’re putting children in cages.  Still.

Everything should come to a stop until this problem is resolved.  And by that, I mean the REAL PROBLEM -- not something “solved” by building The Big Dumb Wall of Racism That is Stupid and Also Won’t Work.  Step one: free the children.  Step two: reunite them with their families.  Step three: beg for forgiveness.  Step four: accommodate them fully -- rehabilitation, care packages, money, whatever.  Step five: burn the newly-vacated detention centers to the ground, so that this never happens again.  There.  Done.  Simple.

…Is what I’d like to say, but it’s not that simple.  I know it.  There’s no easy fix, and no coming back from this entirely-avoidable, needlessly-expensive situation.  These children are going to be scarred for life.  And what hurts more is that I’m tempted to add one of two addendums to that sentence.  Scarred for life if they ever get out. Or scarred for life if they survive.  Innocents are getting thrown into cramped, unsanitary holding pens, denied of toiletries, festering with illnesses, and forced to endure who knows how many abuses from guards.  The best way to resolve this crisis is to have never resorted to it in the first place.  But since we’re already here?  The next best thing is to at least start.  Do something to fix this.  And yet I say this in 2019, when I feel like I said something eerily similar last year -- meaning that things have either stayed the same or gotten worse.

If you’re reading this and can make a decent argument as to why what might as well be kidnapping is a viable policy, then by all means go ahead.  Until then?  I’m going to make a bold claim and say there is no justification for this.  How could there be?  The only way to say that “this is okay” is if you’re actively profiting off of it, you really think it’s the right thing to do, you’re numb to the suffering of others, you’re enjoying it, your sense of justice is horribly misaligned, you’re ignorant to what’s happening, or you’re malignantly stupid.  There’s plenty of room for overlap, of course.

The catch-all answer/reasoning is if “you’re a Republican”, i.e. a person who’s an active member of the party on capitol hill, someone who votes along party lines, or simply just goes along with Trump’s impulses.  And guys?  I’m trying -- I am trying not to make this a black-and-white, good-versus-evil, me-right-u-wrong scenario.  I don’t want to believe that my fellow men and women are beyond reach -- that the gaps between us are untenable just because we don’t believe in the same things.  If we start collectively believing that there’s no hope for “them” (no matter which side you’re on and what “they” think), then the nation’s already scraping the floor of Challenger Deep.

With all that said?  Holy shit.  The GOP is completely in IDGAF mode right now.  It seems like anyone who’s aligned with the party, working for/with Trump, or otherwise has a stake in their efforts is willing to embody the worst qualities of any given human being as long as it’ll help them get through the day or an awkward conversation.  At one point I happened to catch a CNN interview that brought on Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who took questions from anchor Jake Tapper over the decision to pull aid from Honduras.  Tapper argued (correctly) that offering aid to the country has positive effects, and building it up could dissuade its people from wanting to leave and come to America.  Pompeo’s reaction was “Well, that’s just a liberal theory,” and prattled on a bit. 

Meanwhile, Tapper gave him the biggest “Are you for real?” look I’ve ever seen on TV, and the first chance he got, he murdered Pompeo with words on the spot.  His response: “You can say that it’s a ‘liberal theory’ if you want, but that information came from your department.”  Cue Pompeo freezing up, looking dumbfounded, and then walking it back to say “We’re looking at our options and trying to find out what works.”

These are the players we have at bat for us.  And I pray it doesn’t last -- because if it does, then we’re all fucking dead.

Is there anything that can get through to them?  Are power and money the only things that matter?  Why will those matter if the country and planet are on fire before all’s said and done?  What kind of self-preservation tactics are they willing to rely on if they can’t even face their constituents in public?  Why are all of these men and women, people who have the ability to put a stop to some of America’s worst problems -- up to and including, you know, LOCKING CHILDREN IN CAGES -- so afraid to do what’s right?  Like, say, NOT LOCKING CHILDREN IN CAGES? 

This is beyond infuriating.  It’s heartbreaking.  It’s actively hurting me, throughout my everyday life, knowing that I’m powerless to do anything to help those in need or impart justice on the unjust.  And guess what?  I’m not in a cage.  I haven’t been separated from my family.  I’m not being used as a pawn for someone’s political (or monetary) gain.  But my frustration is at its absolute peak right now, having opened Pandora’s Box.  I need a solution.  We all do, including those so casually mistreated by a pack of criminals in suits and ties. 

But what’s the solution for everyday nobodies like us?  What’s the right course of action?  Protests haven’t changed much.  Hard-hitting journalism has exposed the truth and on occasion forced a backdown, only for the Orange House to move on to its next crime.  We have the power to end this with an overwhelming vote, but 1) that’s not feasible until 2020 even though we need it now, and 2) there’s no guarantee that the election will be fair, given how there’s been no effort (and sometimes negative effort) to safeguard it from foreign influence.

I want to point out that violence is not the answer here.  Ideally, it shouldn’t be.  It may have worked for other countries in the past, but coups and bloody revolutions in this day and age don’t strike me as feasible.  It would be too easy for the propagandists to spin any attack in the GOP’s favor.  Heaven help us if something ever happened to Trump.  Setting aside the fact that he needs to face the law for pretty much everything he’s done thus far, resorting to violence to remove him is the same as admitting “the system doesn’t work” and this is the only way I can win, so it’s time to cheat”.  But as things get direr -- as more crimes are committed, more people suffer, and more abuses of the country happen before our eyes -- it’s not hard to imagine someone, somewhere, at some point, going all in to dispose of whoever he thinks is “the bad guy”.

It’s unnecessary.  Not just because we can have a more satisfying victory when it’s done properly.  Oh no.  We all know who the villain of this story is.  Even though it’s so easy to glare at the Republicans -- those in Congress, those in the administration, and everyone in between -- we have a name and a face to go by.  No matter how much I retch internally over making such a basic (if obvious) generalization, it all really does go back to Trump.  You could say he’s the symptom of the GOP’s rot, or an exploited glitch in the system.  No matter what, though, I don’t think it’s off-base to say that he’s the cause of countless problems.  The GOP’s downfall is just a byproduct of them collectively, foolishly thinking that this is the man they need to fall on the sword for.

Put on a blindfold and throw a dart.  You’ll hit a Trump controversy, guaranteed.  Off the top of my head, he’s enabled the longest government shutdown in history, escalated a trade war with China that’s the equivalent of playing Stop Hitting Yourself with his own face, picked a fight with Iran -- to the point where a US missile came within 10 minutes of striking -- banned transgender folks from serving in the military, argued that wind turbines cause cancer, and demanded a tank-filled parade on the Fourth of July, irrespective of the damage and costs it would force.  Also, it’s a safe bet he’s still enjoying golf trips to his resorts on the taxpayers’ dime.  So, you know, that’s always fun to remember.

Even if -- EVEN IF you work under the belief that Trump somehow managed to win the presidency without any help from Russia, and thus can’t nail him to the wall with accusations of collusion or treason, there are still dozens of other reasons why he should get booted out of office.  He’s been violating the Constitution from the first day on by way of not divesting from his businesses.  He’s a constant embarrassment on the world stage.  Not only is it clear that he has no idea what he’s doing -- still! -- but it’s pretty safe to assume the man is mentally unwell.  Having made it to his 70s, it’s only natural for something to have gone wrong inside his head.  What’s unnatural is to have everyone around him -- by his orders or otherwise -- pretend he’s the same virile big shot he was back in the 80s.  Or however he imagined himself.  Take your pick.

If that’s not the case, then we’ve got hard confirmation that he’s an unapologetic racist.  His “go back” tweets demanded four freshman congresswomen to leave the States and head back to whatever broken country they came from.  That’s bad enough in its own right, and even worse when you realize that three of the four women -- those who’ve publicly taken shots at “the president”, I’d wager -- were born in America.  It gets even worse when you realize that someone with access to a wealth of the world’s information can’t even be bothered to tap it…or won’t even use a Google search. 

Does this man think that whatever he says is the truth?  Or that if he says it, it’ll become the truth?

I guess I shouldn’t worry about that, because it gets even worse.  Not only did Trump make some horrifically-racist tweets, but he also thought it would be a good idea to double down.  Triple down.  And then whip up support for his insanity at one of his beloved pep rallies.  And as if that wasn’t bad enough, you’ve got the GOP either staying silent on the obvious racism, or sidestepping it like they were playing hopscotch on a minefield.  They barely wanted to acknowledge the racism.  Just turned it into victim-blaming and tried to prop up Trump with his “accomplishments”.  Like how “the economy is good”.

Not to go off on a tangent -- as if I haven’t already -- but if the assumption is that Trump is going to ride out the 2020 election on the strength of the economy, then he and his pals are going to have to answer some hard questions.  I keep hearing “the economy is good”, but I have to ask him, the party, and their supporters: in what way?  Fox News will say that there are more jobs now and the stock market is doing well, but so what?  What’s the quality of those jobs?  Are they enough to provide a decent standard of living?  Are they helping the country stay competitive globally by promoting the R&D of new technology? 

How are the jobs, old and new, faring in the wake of inflation and/or the rising cost of goods (not to mention the tariffs in place for no raisin)?  Has any of the wealth perceptibly flowed into the hands and pockets of the average American?  What steps have been taken to stabilize the economy?  What happens if and when “the strong economy” you’re so proud of (and piggybacked off of thanks to the Obama administration’s efforts) tanks -- and tanks decisively because of the policies Trump and pals put in place?

I have severe doubts I’d get good answers to any of those questions -- barring reality checks from analysts and journalists whose forecasts sound like doomsday in the making.  It feels like the GOP, having fused with Trump to become a shambling, amorphous blob of lard, wrinkles, and bronzer, just want me to believe that everything is fine.  Meanwhile, pressing Trump on anything more complex than what he had for breakfast runs the risk of him shrieking about how great he is, while all of his enemies can suck a lemon.  It’s been like that pretty much since January 2017.  They’re going in circles and circles, dragging us along by our heels; they’ve done the loop so many times that their footsteps have put them in a trench fifteen miles deep.

And we’re going lower.  Because there are still children in cages.

*sigh*

I remember when I didn’t have to worry about this shit.  I remember the days when I would never even dream about putting political rants on what’s mostly a gaming blog.  Even now, I can think of other stuff I’d rather be writing about, up to and including work on novels in the making.  I want to go back to the days when competent, well-meaning adults -- not even the best and brightest if that’s what it took, because that’s how low the bar is right now -- were in control.  Maybe if that were the case, I could have used the time making this post to push my own agenda as to why Kamen Rider is so hype.  I mean, a new one just got revealed, and he’s looking fresh AF.

But I can’t.  I have this pain in my heart.  This anger in my head.  This desire in my soul -- a wish to see justice served, and for my brethren, here in America and in every corner of the world, given the chance to live freely.  Happily.  No one should ever have to feel like they don’t have a future.  But Trump and those who support him -- either because they believe in his “vision”, or simply because he’s useful for their own gain -- clearly don’t share the same creed.  The only time they seem to think about the future is when it’s time to put their next power-grabbing scheme into action.  Frankly, I can’t stand it.  So, if nothing else, I have to hand it to Trump: he’s awakened in me a level of fury and rage I didn’t even know I could muster.

Then again, maybe it’s not Trump and his administration I’m angry with.  Maybe it’s just me lashing out at the most convenient target.  It’s feasible.  Having hit the wall -- having realized my weakness, a smothering sense of futility, and the gap between ideals and reality -- I can’t help myself.  I need a release.  If I can’t save the children, then what can I do?  How can I make the world a better place, in the wake of an entire, hive-minded political party that utterly refuses to do the right thing?  As unsatisfying as it may be, I think I have my answer.

In the end, I’ll just have to do what I always do: sit here, write, and hope that one day, my feelings will reach out to others.  That one day, I, too, can make a difference.  But until then, I’ll have to hope that soon, a true hero will come and give us our respite.

I think it’ll happen.  Because despite everything, I still believe in America.  And no matter what side you’re on -- mine, theirs, or your own -- I’ll make it clear here and now.

I believe in you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment