December 12, 2019

Teppen! But Also, Housekeeping (and Indignation)


I can’t think of a lot of games that I’ve fallen for so quickly, but wouldn’t you know it?  Teppen is one of them.  And to think it’d not only be the very first mobile game I’ve talked about on this blog, but the very first mobile game I’ve ever owned.  Well, besides some Tetris/Pac-Man hybrid built into this one phone I had a geologic age ago.

So let’s talk about Teppen.  Briefly.  Because God forbid, I get to talk about something I actually like and/or can be positive about.



I’ve had that card game itch for a while now.  Blame Yu-Gi-Oh for that, what with me getting deep in bed with the anime a year or so back.  I still kind of yearn for that, to be honest -- the Pendulum Summon sound effect is my ASMR trigger -- but as tempted as I am to see if that Duel Links game on the Switch is up to snuff, Teppen hit me first and hardest thanks to a glowing, multi-week recommendation from Castle Super Beast.  Also, it’s free.  Also, also, I needed to justify the new phone I upgraded to (if only because my brother breaking his gave me an excuse to trade up).

Hey, guess what?  Teppen is fun.  Super-fun.  It’s ridiculously easy to grasp and get into, so you won’t have to spend hours and hours running through tutorials to get into the kiddie pool of low-rank online matches.  Granted I’d recommend getting a feel for the game and/or what you want to gear your deck towards with the single-player content, but I’d say it doesn’t even take an hour to fully grasp the basic mechanics.  The nuances?  The strategies?  Not as clear-cut, in that “easy to learn, hard to master” nature of the beast.  Still, the barrier of entry is about as high as the average street curb.


What I’ve found the most surprising -- yet strangely refreshing -- about Teppen is its blistering pace.  While there’s a rule in place so that the person with the most life after about 5 minutes is the winner, I’ve never run into a situation where I’ve hard to worry about timing out.  You can win a match in one minute if you’ve got strategy and luck on your side, if not less.  It’s weird, because there is a timing-based, real-time element to it rather than raw turn-taking.  In theory, it should be a constant, overwhelming deluge of information.

In practice, the flow of battle is as natural as breathing.  With it being a card game, there’s no guarantee you’ll have everything you’ll need to counter every single enemy attack at every single moment.  That said, you’ll have more than enough time to build up your resources, deploy your units, buff, debuff, shield, heal, setup, and the like -- and time to process it, more importantly.  It’s a card game, yes, but it really does feel like a fighting game (helped by having so many Street Fighter all-stars on the roster).  The key difference?  With the gates of execution torn down, it’s less a matter of raw dexterity and combo recital as it is about -- for lack of a better descriptor -- the heart of battle.

It certainly helps that, compared to something like Street Fighter V, it takes at most about ten seconds to go from one match to the next.  And that’s an outlier.  Really, it tends to average two.  So if you’re like me?  Good luck saying “Just one more match” and then actually meaning it.


I’ve half a mind to talk about Teppen more at a later date, assuming nothing else leaves an overwhelming, lasting impression on me.  And it just might, depending on what great/terrible life choices I make in the next…oh, let’s say two hours or so.  The key issue is that I already have a strong mental image of what’s on the docket.  What I need to write about, because otherwise it’ll just be like a pair of carnivorous worms gnashing their maws as they tunnel through my brain.  I’ve been putting them off for a while, and I’ve reached a point where I can’t for much longer.

The first thing I want to write about is one of Sunrise’s latest productions, Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE.  Depending on how you classify it, it’s the fourth season of the Gundam Build Fighters spinoff franchise of the classic Mobile Suit franchise.  I wouldn’t, though, because that would imply that this fourth installment is in the same league as the first.  It isn’t.  Frankly, I think it’s remarkably bad, and as of writing it’s taken ten episodes to squeak its way up to the level of “mediocre”.



I adore the first season of Gundam Build Fighters.  I think that the second season (Build Fighters Try) was unequivocally a step down, but still ultimately a fine show with plenty to like.  As soon as it switched from Fighters to Divers -- as it did with the third season -- there was a MASSIVE drop in quality.  I never got around to explaining why in full detail, but let’s just say “it got killed by a waifu” and leave it at that.  In theory, I shouldn’t even be bothering with this fourth installment.  But I did.  I guess I just wanted to believe.  Give the showrunners a chance at redemption.

And now I’m pretty much hate-watching it every Thursday.  The pacing is dismal.  The characters are inoffensive at best and abysmal at worst.  The spectacle of previous seasons is generally on the wane.  The spirit of the Build Fighters series is almost completely gone.  The focus is on all of the wrong elements.  The experience is shallow and somehow manages to introduce some pretty distressing implications in episode after episode.  The entire narrative is still being killed by a waifu, so clearly no one learned anything from the last go-round.  And oh, dear God, I hate the main character.

There are parts of me simultaneously itching for and dreading the moment when I actually sit down and write about the show.  Knowing me, it’s going to take a long, long, long time to go in detail on my many problems with it -- meaning it’ll probably be a double-post, at a bare minimum.  Given that, I’m kind of wondering if I should wait until the show’s finished its run.  Maybe it’ll get better, because even if I’m still pausing every single episode to do an aside glance, groan, sigh in dismay, or lament my existence, it is technically, slightly better than when it started.  So I don’t know.  I’ll mull it over.

The other thing I want to write about is Kingdom Hearts III.

…Except I don’t care about Kingdom Hearts anymore.
  


That was literally going to be the title of the post.  “I don’t care about Kingdom Hearts anymore.”  It’d probably be the most honest thing I’ve ever written, because, well, KH3 broke me.  Or broke the series, more appropriately, and it was already a vase Nomura and the Squeenix crew had dropped so many times they were basically gluing powder back together.  And like, I feel as if there’s not even a point in trying to fight back, or even rage about it anymore. 

The Empire’s won, guys.  This is the best-selling game in the franchise to date, and it didn’t even matter how many people were disappointed, confused, or enraged by it.  All Squeenix needed were sales numbers, and they got them.  Because of the old standbys: a recognizable name, production values, and nostalgia.  (And ostensibly the carrot-on-a-stick of the promise of a completed narrative after more than a decade of lingering in limbo, but let’s just lump that under “nostalgia” for simplicity’s sake.)


They don’t need to learn, or improve, or press onward, or evolve.  If they ever felt the need to put out a high-quality product -- one that doesn’t just rely on technical prowess -- then we wouldn’t have had such narrative disasters as, well, pretty much everything after KH2.  (Days is debatable, but let’s not get into that right now.)  Nothing in the story matters anymore except for some shallow fluff here and there.  The themes aren’t maturing, the plot’s a shambling corpse, questions are posed with unsatisfying answers given years down the line, and there are no stakes because Nomura and crew can just cheat their way to whatever resolution they want.

The Re:Mind DLC was supposed to be the saving grace -- the one thing I was waiting for to see if the game could be redeemed.  But I waited for months with nothing to show for it, and in the meantime?  Every time I even thought about KH3 after beating it, I found something else to be angry about.  Those feelings stewed and simmered, so that when they did start dropping trailers and info, I didn’t even bother watching them.  The damage had been done.  I’d been burned too harshly, to the point where when I did eventually watch -- as in weeks after the fact -- it was as a third party via a YouTuber’s reaction video.  And I could barely make it five seconds in before more overwrought dialogue made me pause and sigh and groan and wallow in despair for continuing to exist.



And now there’s been another trailer I can’t be bothered to watch, because screencaps have revealed that the Final Fantasy characters are back.  Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Leon and Yuffie and Aerith are here!  Except…wasn’t it a conscious decision by the devs to leave them out in the first place because they wanted to focus on the KH3 narrative?  (HA!)  And now, almost a year after the fact, they’re backing down because…why, exactly?

The cynic in me has an explanation.  They didn’t pull the FF crew because of a creative vision.  They just needed a hook for the DLC and the money it’d bring.  Or if not the money, then “player engagement” that’ll lead to brand loyalty and eventually more money.  As pessimistic as it may sound, there’s a part of me that genuinely believes they were rearing and ready to go with this plan, this “roadmap” of “content”.  If not that, then Squeenix got spooked by fan reactions and course-corrected -- backed down on the one thing that signaled faith in their work -- for the sake of pandering.  So basically, the answer to why is either “because they have no integrity” or “because they have no integrity”.

Real talk?  I don’t drink, but if I was ever going to start, it’d be because Squeenix pushed me to.


I guess that’s about all I have for now.  Teppen stuff will come later, even though I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be playing more of it in the interstice.  I’m not 100% committed to next week’s post being on Re:RISE, but there are only two Thursdays left in the year after this and, well, it would be a welcome filler for the slot.  Really, though, I want the very last post this year (emphasis on want) to be something related to KH3.  I’ve been holding onto that grudge for a while, so it’s best to capitalize -- even if it’s not a full-on breakdown of everything wrong with the game.

What really bums me out about the game is that, as it stands, it’s going to be the worst one I’ve played all year.  My Top 5 is pretty much locked in at this point, and even among the lesser games I’ve played, none of them are titles I’d flat-out call “bad”.  Given that, there’s a part of me that wants to scramble to go into Christmas rush mode to find a game that’s worse than KH3, just so I can say that Sora’s latest adventure isn’t at the bottom of a very small barrel.  I mean, sure, there are objectively worse games out there off the top of my head, but I mean among those that I’d actually be interested in playing/investigating.  Something that’d come across my path with the intent of being intriguing, but in reality, it turned out to be --


YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!  LET’S GO ALL THE WAY TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

(Or maybe I’ll go with Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.  I dunno, LOL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment