November 14, 2019

The Smash Ultimate Salt Mines (feat. Terry)


Oh, look at what I found.  It’s a ticket for a trip to the salt mines once again.  No, it’s no problem at all, Sakurai and crew. Let me just get my helmet and gloves -- oh, and a decent pair of pants, too -- and I’ll just crawl right in.  I’m not worried about my lungs at all. Not like there’s coal or anything for me to breathe in.  And what do I even need my lungs for, huh?

*sigh*

The update that brought Terry Bogard into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the same one that buffed Jigglypuff, my least favorite character to fight in the entire game.  Great.  I was looking for a reason to throw my Switch in the trash.

On the other hand, Buster Wolf.  So it evens out.  Barely.


I would have had this post up last week, but in my infinite wisdom, I decided to lay down for a spell after writing a substantial amount…and then inadvertently fell asleep, woke up hours later, and then decided to say “screw it” and upload the following week.  It’s hardly professional, I know, but it works out in the end.  Why?  I’ve gotten to spend more time with Fatal Fury’s Terry Bogard, rather than rushing to throw up a half-assed spread of first impressions.  God works in mysterious ways.

I’ll start by pointing to the stands for a bit.  I don’t know if Terry’s a good character, or if I’ll stick with him, or anything of the sort.  But damned if I didn’t have fun with him in my limited time thus far -- and, more importantly, I was constantly left saying “he’s so cool!” in matches I won and lost alike.  For context: Terry was never my character back in the days of King of Fighters and CvS2.  Since my brother played with him, I was conditioned to treat the character as I would a mud-soaked possum.  Now I’ve been completely won over by the Wild Wolf.  That’s a turnaround the me from years ago would never have seen coming.


Terry is Ryu 2.0, to put it simply.  He’s a fighter that wants to get in and do lots of damage with combos and mechanics unique to everyone else in the cast -- and once he gets started, he’ll bring the pain on a level that’d make some of the heavy characters do a double take.  But while guys like Bowser just want and get that BIG DAMAGE from single attacks, Terry can ratchet up those percentages by chaining grounded, aerial, and special moves into combos. 

And if that wasn’t bad enough, the Fatal Fury hero gets access to his supers once he reaches 100% damage.  Think of it as Little Mac’s KO Punch, except even if he misses (or hits!), he can do it again.  And again.  And again.  Granted it’s not safe on block and readable from a desperate opponent, but this is a character that becomes significantly more dangerous once he’s near death.  By the way, we’re talking about a guy who’s already demonstrated 40% and zero-to-death combos.

Don’t let him get in, is what I’m trying to say here.


The problem with Terry, at least at this early stage, is that he’s very “conditional”.  If he gets in and starts landing his combos, you’ll feel it.  That’s a big if, though, because -- as I’m almost certain you know by know -- the online space in Smash Ultimate is rife with fighters and players who’d rather wear you down to the bone with a spread of projectiles than face you head-on.  Terry’s Power Wave is not the kind of projectile you want to rely on to win fireball wars; you can technically blow up zoning attempts with well-timed rushes, like a good Crack Shoot or a Buster Wolf when you spot a lull in the pressure (I clinched a win against a Lucas player by blasting right through a PK Freeze attempt), but someone who wants to keep you out…probably will.

I feel like there’s a strong temptation to go ham with Terry, but it’s better to take a measured approach until you’re sure you can land a hit, punish, or combo.  Nearly all of his special moves are about him throwing himself at an enemy in various ways/trajectories, which on some level can get you out of trouble (i.e. making your angle of recovery less predictable).  The problem is that you’re taking a big risk to use those moves.  Yeah, Burn Knuckle can get you in there, but what happens if it’s blocked?  You’re a dead man.

Also, be sure to figure out which way you’re facing in a match.  I’ve lost stocks and matches I shouldn’t have because I did the wrong Side-B and self-destructed because of it.  Given who and what I’ve seen online, I’m not the only one with a few botches on his belt.


According to the compiled stats and attributes, Terry is the ninth heaviest character in the game.  Shocking, but I believe it; he’s a beefy boy that can take some damage.  He pretty much has to be able to, or his Go mechanic wouldn’t be viable.  So since he’s got so much power and weight, it follows that he’s not the most mobile, either.  His dash leaves him somewhere in the middle, but walking puts him in 71st place overall.  Brutal. 

Of course, the real problem with Mr. Bogard is that his recovery is…poor.  It’s not as bad as with Little Mac or the Belmonts, but 1) his two Side-Bs can lead to some unfortunate SDs, 2) even an optimal Rising Tackle might not be enough to grab a ledge, and 3) his recovery is linear enough for characters to read and gimp his desperate attempts to get back on the stage.  I bullied a Terry into oblivion by tossing out weak fireballs with Hero.  Meanwhile, I’ve been on the receiving end with a Villager whose never-ending hit and run slingshot tactics dragged a match on for eternity because Terry just couldn’t catch him -- and woe to any players who get tossed offstage.

Not to go off on a tangent, but why does it seem like the coolest characters have the worst recovery?  Terry, Ike, Simon, Incineroar -- it’s heartbreaking to see the wrecking crew take a dip because of a little love tap on the cheek.


My brother and I have both taken our shots with the latest DLC fighter, with varying levels of success.  Our online doubles adventure went poorly, to put it mildly.  Setting aside the fact that our team composition is never online-friendly (boy does it help to have somebody in the background sniping with fully-charged shots or YOLO body projectiles), I’m suspecting more and more that his issues stem from using a GameCube controller and adapter.  Smash Ultimate online is by no means optimal at any given point, but the way he’s been playing, you’d think he was playing in a pool of cold mud two towns over.  It’d explain why he couldn’t even Up-B his way back onto a ledge.

Lag or otherwise, that didn’t stop him from going solo with Terry while I wasn’t around.  When I came in and saw him going at it (if only to fill time until his copy of Death Stranding came in), I was greeted with a fighting game expert brought to his knees by every opponent he crossed.  I really need to look into the issue of GC controllers and/or lag -- it might have something to do with the USB cords plugged into the Switch itself -- but the end result is that when I got around to taking Terry online for a solo run, he was at a paltry 1.1 million GSP.  Down from the 5 million (and some change) that marked his peak, even if it was just by way of him passively earning most of those points.  So I figured it was up to me to bring his point count to a respectable amount.

It didn’t work out like that.  At all.


I assumed that being in a low-GSP abyss meant that I’d be able to score more than enough wins -- and easily -- to rocket back out.  I was mistaken.  And so began a humiliating, debilitating, mortifying sequence of matches -- a losing streak the likes of which I’d pretty much never seen before.  Some of it came from my own botches and unfamiliarity with the character.  Some of it came from me being depressingly unable to seal the final blow, only to give my opponent more than enough time to land one instead.  And some of it came from me not paying enough attention to rule changes.  Had I known that I didn’t have the standard seven minutes to win, I would have taken notice of my foe’s sudden penchant for turtling a lot more seriously.

The end result was that I cut that 1.1 million GSP down by well over half.  And for as many ways as I can blame myself for messing up and drawing so close to a nadir, there’s still a part of me that’s willing to blame Terry himself for his inherent, exploitable character flaws.  It’s easy to zone him out.  His recovery is unreliable.  He can approach, maybe, but not safely.  His super gimmick puts the “desperation” in Desperation Moves.  Props to those who are willing to take the risks with this character, but for those who aren’t willing to breach the wall?  He’s not a character I can recommend for those who want a smooth ride into Elite Smash.


But because I’m me -- and those someone who’s prone to fits of spite, hubris, and a lust for revenge -- I didn’t give up on the character.  How could I?  Death Stranding could wait.  I had to regain my honor.  Lo and behold, I did exactly that.  Fighting a couple of Terry mirror matches did the trick, not just to regain my confidence, but to get a better feel for the character than what I had before.  His F-Smash has deceptive range on top of stunning power, meaning that you can dupe foes into picking the wrong get-up option from a ledge.  Even if his approaches aren’t safe, you can still whiff punish with a well-placed Burn Knuckle.  Two jabs are all you need to combo into a Buster Wolf.

I didn’t do it, but I felt like giving myself a pat on the back for such a huge turnaround.  How huge?  In one sitting -- the same one that had such a crushing losing streak to begin with -- I doubled the amount of GSP my brother had left Terry with, and then some.  I had a 90%-win rate out of my last 10 matches (would’ve been 100%, but Jigglypuff is poison to me).  And overall, I made Terry’s win percentage climb to 57.57%.  Various opponents were asked if they were okay.

I guess it’s true, then.  It doesn’t (entirely) matter how good or bad your character is.  If you can learn how to use them, you’ll be better off.  If you polish your abilities as a fighter, you’ll gain an edge.  But most of all?  If you feel your character -- if you can sync up with them on a deeper, instinctual, and maybe even spiritual level -- then you’ll be one step closer to becoming a hero.

Or getting into Elite Smash.  I dunno, maybe, LOL.


And that’ll do it for now.  See you next time.  Maybe with more to say about Death Stranding besides casually acknowledging its existence?  Eh, we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment