June 27, 2019

The Samurai Shodown Sleepy Time Post


June’s almost over, and for me this month has been uniquely terrible.



I’m not going to bore anyone reading this with all the details, but if we suddenly jumped to July 1st, I wouldn’t mind that at all -- mostly because it would reduce the probability of some other misfortune befalling me.  Technical difficulties, car trouble, dog getting hurt, a heaping pile of overtime; I’m not exaggerating when I say that I was so tired earlier this week that I had trouble lifting up my grilled cheese.  So…yeah, I need sleep.  Urgently.

With that in mind, I did get a chance to try out Samurai Shodown (2019), and…hey, guess what?  It’s good.  It’s by no means the fastest fighter out there, but that works to its advantage because A) there’s a higher probability of it being playable by normal humans, and B) you don’t want lightspeed movement in a game where a 3-hit combo -- or hell, even one well-timed heavy attack -- can sap 30-50% of your life.  With its blend of unique offensive and defensive mechanics and its alternative approach to gameplay, I’m hard-pressed to think of anything like it in the current fighting game climate.  Here’s hoping it has some long legs.

Also, I’m pretty much set on maining Charlotte.  I’m looking forward to skewering some ninjas.


More thoughts to follow in the coming weeks, assuming I don’t fall asleep mid-drive and crash anywhere.  Hopefully I’ll still have a high opinion of the game when next I post.  Till next time, then, be sure to get a good night’s sleep.

I know I will.  

Probably.

...

...Eventually.




...

...Hopefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment