October 8, 2018

The Super Sleepy Housekeeping Post (feat. Existential Dread)


Remember, kids: always get a good night’s rest.  Otherwise your brain will start eating itself.

I know that sounds like something out of some B-movie schlock (it IS October, after all), but wouldn’t you know it, science provides.  Anyway, on to this quick little post of mine.

And not sleep.  Not yet.



I SAID NOT YET!

So I don’t envy my position right now.  Not the whole “I could use a nap or three” bit; I only need a single good night to bounce back.  No, I’ve been thinking about it, and I’ve come to the debilitating conclusion that there are too many games for me to play.  Pardon the first world problems, but it’s true.  While I was -- and still am -- busy chipping away at Octopath Traveler, pretty much ALL OF THE GAMES dropped in the span of a month.  Maybe two or three, but September put up a hefty list.

So off the top of my head, there’s Marvel’s Spider-Man, Dragon Quest XI, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Mega Man 11, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.  That’s a lot.  Worse yet?  All of those games are on top of my current, ever-looming backlog.  NieR: Automata, God of War, and especially Yakuza 6 have been sitting around for ages, mostly left untouched.  I mean…cripes.

Also, I know I said “especially Yakuza 6” but I also mean especially NieR.  That game is too good for me to leave undone…even though I’ve been leaving it undone for, like, a year and a half, but whatever.  Semantics.    


There’s a lot for me to go through, and just looking at this list right now -- which I suspect is still incomplete -- doesn’t make me want to hunker down in front of the PS4.  It makes me want to curl into a ball in the corner of my room and cry myself to sleep.  There’s not enough time in the year, let alone day, for me to get through every last one of those games.  Sure, I could find ways to make time (theoretically), but I’d rather use that for various other things.  As you know, novels don’t write overhaul themselves, 3D models don’t rig themselves, and blogs don’t redesign themselves.

Also there’s that whole “life” thing I’m pretty terrible at, but I feel like I should at least make a token effort at it.

The dilemma now isn’t just “what am I going to play” -- or when, given how this daunting challenge his making me want to wash my hands of it -- but what am I going to write about from here on. I’d assume that all of those games have a limited shelf life in terms of relevancy, so after a certain point no one’s going to care about Valkyria Chronicles 4 -- assuming they do now.  I mean, technically I could just keep pumping out more Kingdom Hearts posts, since it’s an eternally-popular franchise whose relevancy will remain in the lead-up to the third chapter, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut…I don’t know.  Sometimes when I think about what could have been, my soul dies a little.



I guess the alternative for now is -- outside of Octopath Traveler -- to not talk about video games and focus on anime for a bit.  I can definitely do that.  I’ve been trekking through My Hero Academia for a while now, and I can do more than just confirm its quality (as if you needed a latecomer to tell you that…even though I read the manga for a good while, but whatever).  I’m super-eager to write more posts on it, because I’ll be damned if I don’t sell at least one person on Best Boy Iida.

(But y’all are sleepin’ on Mt. Lady, thoooooooooooooo.)

And on the opposite end of the spectrum?  *sigh*  At some point, I’m going to have to write about Gundam Build Divers.  I’m not going to say that it was a crushing disappointment.  Instead, I’ll say that it was a heart-rending, soul-breaking disappointment.  Subtle difference, I know.  And with the analysis of sorts being written by me, I’d bet it’ll take at least 3 posts to get through.  Lucky for me, I’ve got a box of tissues within arm’s reach whenever I’m seated at my PC.  Never know when a bad story will leave you in tears for all the wrong reasons.

Not that that’s ever happened.  Not even with Build Divers.  It just left me hollowed out.


At any rate, December’s coming up, and that’ll probably be my cue to go on hiatus again.  “Hiatus” in this case being scaling back the blog to one post a week…which I arguably should have made the default ages ago, but oh well.  What can I post about then?  The obvious choice would be Smash Bros. Ultimate, and I suspect I can wring out a month’s worth of posts on that.  On the other hand?  There are two big subjects that I’ve never gotten around to exploring in full -- stuff I’ve kept on the backburner for almost a year.  On the positive end, I’ve got Yu-Gi-Oh ARC-V; it says a lot when, even now, I’m still thinking back to it, watching clips, and cycling through its soundtrack.  Which isn’t to say it doesn’t have flaws -- holy shit does it have some flaws -- but I can’t get enough of those Pendulum Summons.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there’s Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I’d be content with letting the memories of that die, but the recent DLC release has put it back in the limelight and subsequently raised my blood pressure.  There’s much to discuss on that front, so let the records show that it’s a possibility.  One must know how foolhardy it is to hinge an entire plot around subpar waifu bait.



And on a final note?  Ideally, I’ll have finished the novel overhaul I mentioned by December (probably WAY earlier than that; hopefully by the end of this month), which means that it’s time to start the process again.  Maybe this will be the one that pushes me over the edge and into the published world.  We’ll see.  Critically, though?  Even if I DO wrap up that stuff, it’s not like I’ll be resting on my laurels.  I want to go full blast on other projects, as per my creative vision and endeavors.  So even though it’s the stupidest idea ever and I hate myself for it, there’s a part of me whispering “start a new novel.  It’ll be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.”

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be, Evil Me, but come on.  Baby steps.

Anyway, that’s about all I’ve got for now.  I’ll pick at a bunch of games like a scab in the days and weeks to come (Soul Calibur VI is an impending top priority), but you can look forward to other stuff, too.  In the immediate(ish) future?  Another My Hero Academia post, starring Auxiliary Best Boy Midoriya.  Something for Octopath, as well.

But you know what I really want to write about (again)?  I’ll give you a hint: it’s embedded below.


Aw yeah, WrestleMania time…next time.

…ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment