May 19, 2016

Two shows enter, one show leaves!


Oh what a day.  What a lovely day!

Am I -- am I doing that right?  Yeah, I must be doing that right.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about which posts to work on next.  I’ve got a good list of them so far, so it’s only a matter of sitting down and plugging away until they’re done.  I don’t have specific dates locked down for each post, but they’ll come in when they come in.  And while it’s a given that some of those posts will focus on video games -- because of this blog, and because I’m me -- I reserve the right to branch out and tackle stories across different mediums.  Video games are an art form, but they’re not the only talking point out there.

So that’s where you come in.  I’ve mulled over two shows, and I need opinions on which one will go up first.  What have we got?  Well, let’s roll out the red carpet for our two competitors.

Oh, and MEDIOCRE!  There.  Now I’m definitely doing it right.


Now then.  In the red corner we’ve got:


I’ve known about RWBY for a good while, but never actually gave it an honest look until a few months ago.  I might’ve still avoided it (not out of malice, of course) if not for the Best Friends Zaibatsu.  They didn’t directly recommend it, but apparently, someone on YouTube started overlaying the friends’ audio over RWBY’s visuals -- and to great effect.  It got me interested enough to take a look.  And eventually, it reached a point where I’m now caught up 100% with the series.  Well, not counting some of the supplementary materials between episodes.

I’m thankful that there were some mini-videos that go into some of the world-building and details; I wouldn’t say they’re essential to know what’s going on, but they’re still appreciable.  But that highlights RWBY in general.  I was so eager to get to the next episode that I didn’t want to sit around waiting for the history lesson to play through.  So in case you need me to sum up my thoughts on RWBY in one go, here it is: it’s a strong, strong show.  It wasn’t what I expected, but that makes it even better.

So what’s in the blue corner, then?


Huh. 

Huh.


Okay, let’s be real here.  I’m not going to talk about every episode of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure in one post, because that’d be stupid and hard.  And also, I haven’t seen every episode yet.  But as of writing, I’ve finished Part 1 -- Phantom Blood -- and I’m working my way through Part 2 -- Battle Tendency.  Still, I think I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk about Part 1, because…well, I’ve finished it.  So I’m catching up to the JoJo train, and at some point I’ll finally be ready to ride along with Part 4 (Diamond is Unbreakable).  That’s still a ways away, and I’m eager to talk about the show in whatever capacity I can.

To say that I’m enamored would be an understatement.  I know, people have been telling me to watch JoJo for a while now -- and even I’ve said years ago that I planned to start watching -- but I never got around to it.  Now I have, and I see what all the noise is about.  Phantom Blood on its own is pretty strong, and it has elements in it that personally appeal to me.  I don’t know how it compares to other installments, but I’ll say this: the other seven parts have a lot of work to do if they want to top my favorite.

Also, I have a much stronger appreciation for the All-Star Battle game, knowing how hard they worked to cram in references and pixel-perfect recreations of shots.  And I never would’ve guessed “Luck and Pluck” actually meant something.


So there you go.  What’ll it be?  Want to see the oft-proclaimed manliest anime ever?  Or do you want to go the opposite route and follow the misadventures of Teen Girl Squad, Anime Arrange?  Make your choice in the comments, and I’ll be sure to provide.  But remember: choosing doesn’t mean you’ll see one and never the other.  It just means you can help decide which one goes first.

Got it?  Cool.  Now, let the battle begin…because I need something to entertain me until Volume 4 of RWBY drops.  RWBY Chibi might do it, but the main story’s left me hanging for now and I hate it.  Give me more Jaune already, pls.


Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment