August 6, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and THAT MOVIE


Alternate Post Title: Technical Difficulties Rising: Revengeance

Alternate (Alternate) Post Title: The Last Horse Crosses the Finish Line


So I mentioned in the last post that I -- which is to say, this blog -- had problems with Disqus.  Specifically, the site and the system got desynched, meaning that even if people commented, I couldn’t exactly see them, meaning that I couldn’t respond to them.  Given that I’ve got people coming in on occasion to read months-old posts, you can see how that can be a bit of a problem.  Unless I personally checked every single post I’ve ever written, but that ain’t happenin’.

I’ve looked into a fix for the issue, and…well, I have some good news and some bad news.  The good news is that, as far as I can tell, people can still comment here.  And I can still respond to them.  And at the very least, the comment count will show up at the bottom of each post.  Granted I don’t know how long that’ll hold out, but for the time being?  If you guys reading this have any issues with leaving comments, tell me about it and I’ll look into a fix for that.  Okay?  Okay.


Now for the bad news.  As you can guess, I wasn’t able to fix the problem -- not for lack of trying (and regardless of my technical know-how, or lack thereof).  As far as I can tell, the problem is one on Disqus’ end, namely in its relation to the Blogger platform.  Put simply, there really isn’t one anymore; it still works, sure, but some updates on the latter’s end hasn’t translated to the former.  By the looks of things, they aren’t going to.

The problem I’ve had isn’t something unique to me.  Others have reported the same issue -- and have done so more than three months ago.  I guess the issue trickled down to me eventually, for one reason or another, but whatever the reason, the end result is clear.  Disqus’ mods have apologized profusely and said “they’re looking into the problem”, but again, that was months ago.  People have had this issue before and presumably after me, and nothing’s come from it.  I guess they’ll do something about it eventually, but my fear is that at some point, Disqus will just stop working entirely -- and I might not even be able to go back to the built-in, Google-based comments system I had before.


The bright side to all of this is that -- for now -- this is an inconvenience I can get around.  I can’t find out who’s commented on what via the Blogger dashboard, but I CAN do that via the Disqus moderator page.  I’ve already bookmarked it on my home page, so I guess it’s just a matter of clicking a button and having a look…which technically makes it less cumbersome than checking via the Blogger dashboard, but whatever.  On the other hand, this also means that I can’t keep track of how many comments I’ve gotten from this point on (and a little before that, actually).

As a guy who takes received comments dead seriously, that’s a bit of a sticking point for me.  It’s been a measure of progress pretty much since I started this blog, and to think it’s frozen in time for who knows how long -- maybe indefinitely -- doesn’t sit right with me.  I’m under the assumption that there’s a counter over on the Disqus mod page, but for now?  Let me say this: the blog’s made it to 1,835 comments since its birth, and I consider that something to be thankful for as well as an accomplishment.  Okay, sure, I’d bet that half of those are mine because I respond to virtually every comment -- even the troll ones! -- but if no one else will say it, I will: thank you guys so much for reading and sharing your thoughts.  You have no idea how much it means to me, and I hope you’ll keep coming back for more.

So.  Now that all of that is out of the way, I have a question to ask: can you guess what movie I saw?


Yep.  At long last, I’ve finally, finally, finally seen Frozen.  Well, most of it, but I’ve filled in the gaps as needed.  And I’m seriously thinking of doing a post on it.  Maybe two.  Honestly, I was going to tag my thoughts on it to this post, but given that I’ve used up more than seven hundred words to talk about busted comment systems, I figure it’s worth a wait.  Plus I have a penchant for diarrhea of the keyboard running long. 

I guess the next step is asking what you guys want to see.  Like, I’ve already got some posts written and planned out, but I’d be all right with shuffling the order around if it means giving you guys what you want.  So what DO you want to see?  What do you want me to say about the movie?  I have opinions on it, but I’ll stay quiet about them for now.  Really, this is as much about you guys as it is about me, so let me be the first to open the floor.  Talk about Frozen as much as you want in the comments.  Give your thoughts, your opinions, or ask for some of my opinions.  Do whatever you feel like doing.

And that’s about all I’ve got to say for now.  See you next time.  Also, I suspect this is obligatory:


For the record?  “Let it Go” hasn’t gotten stuck in my head as much as it could have -- mostly because I’m awful at getting songs stuck in my head.  Side note: I can’t believe I’ve made it this far without hearing the song in full, or even half of it.  Pop culture is…not my forte, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment