August 8, 2019

Let’s discuss Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Part 2).


Must…resist…urge to post about Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Must…resist…urge to post about Hero in Smash Ultimate

Must…write…post…on the story of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!  But Dedue, though!  He’s the best, man!  He’s just the best!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH.  Okay.  Okay, I’m good.  Let’s do this for real.

What is a SPOILER? A miserable little pile of SPOILERS!
But enough talk!  Have at SPOILERS!



Couldn’t wrap up without embedding this one.

So the question I asked last time was innocent in theory, but insensitive (at best) in practice.  Does this game do enough to justify itself?  Is there more to it than just catering to nostalgia and standing tall as a monumental middle finger to Konami?  The corollary to that question is, of course, whether or not it even matters.  I mean, there should be no doubt that -- despite some niggling issues -- Bloodstained is a good game, and I’m personally glad I at least played it (even if I didn’t get 100% completion, but exploring 98.2% of the map is as good a stopping point as any).

With that said, I don’t think I’m entirely off the mark here.  Not playing the quasi-contrarian for the sake of being that guy.  I don’t have any enduring memories of or loyalty to Castlevania.  By extension, the most Metroid I’ve played is Metroid Prime…and the first act of Metroid Prime 3 before my disc was irreparably corrupted.  So as much as I recognize the triumphs of the past and the efforts of the present to honor them, that’s not my sole measure of whether or not a game is good.  I look at more than that.  Story and gameplay pared down to the absolute basics, but there’s more to it.  How’s the presentation?  How’s the feel?  How are the mechanics, the systems, the design philosophy, characters, themes, ideas, execution?  And in a lot of cases, I do that in a way that looks forward.  That focuses on how a game is either going to exist in our current age, or push the medium toward a future that’s still, regrettably, devoid of jetpacks.


Here's what really gets to me about Bloodstained, if I’m being 100% personal and 0% objective: if it released earlier this year, I probably wouldn’t be grappling with these feelings.  Devil May Cry V is still sitting pretty in the #1 GOTY spot for me, and that won’t change anytime soon.  Bloodstained might have made my personal list if the circumstances were right.  That is, if I existed in a timeline where I hadn’t played heavy-hitting indie titles like Katana Zero and VA-11 HALL-A, then I’d have wrapped this thing up last time.  But since I have, my eyes have been opened to the power of indie games.  As if they weren’t already; there was a time when it seemed like the only things that justified the presence of the then-fledgling PS4 were Transistor and Resogun, the latter of which is a free-to-play shmup.

It’s true that none of the games I mentioned are pushing their hardware to the limit (at least compared to AAA fare, for good or ill).  But in exchange?  I think we can all agree that there are some truly thrilling experiences out there -- a level of maneuverability and variability that most big-budget games are too scared to tap, what with the money behind them making their creators effectively afraid of their own shadows.  Narratively interesting, mechanically interesting, visually interesting; the creative vision shines through, and makes up for not having bottomless pockets.  There are games out there with the perfect blend of style and substance.

But I think I know what the real clincher is.  Katana Zero, VA-11 HALL-A, and more have the edge in my eyes because of one simple reason: they all managed to surprise me.

By and large, Bloodstained doesn’t.  It’s exactly what I expected it to be -- and that, against all odds, holds it back.


It’s exactly what it set out to be: a new, good Castlevania game.  I can’t begrudge it for that, at least not entirely.  I’ve always wondered deep down if there’s an oversaturation of Metroidvania-style games out in the wild, but the counterargument is that I haven’t even played that many -- let alone know them all by heart -- so the smartest thing I could do is get my mouth zipped shut.  Besides, a good game is a good game.  Why not embrace a good game by a man with plenty of good games to his name?  Well, I guess the answer to that -- for me, at least -- is that I don’t want the same flavor of game every time.  Even if the man who made that flavor is serving it, and it’s the apex of what that flavor can be, I had my fill years ago.

It’s like this.  I like Michael Jackson’s music; say what you will about his…legacy…but he put out songs I don’t mind bobbing my head to when they come on the radio.  “Beat It”, “Man in the Mirror”, and “Smooth Criminal” are all aces in my book.  But in contrast?  I can’t handle “Billie Jean”.  It’s not even that it’s a bad song; it’s just that I’ve heard it so many times that I don’t want to hear it anymore -- and compared to some of MJ’s other tracks, “Billie Jean” is a decisive step down for me.  You know the feeling too, don’t you?  How you’ve had your fill of something, and resent it just for showing up in your presence?  (Side note: don’t even talk to me about “Eye of the Tiger”.  From here on out, I refuse it.  I reject it.)

But to get back on topic?  Given how far into the century we are (we’ve never been further in the future, boys!), it’s going to take something special to elevate a game to the next level.  To make it memorable, striking, endearing beyond its basic mission statement or role.  For some people, Bloodstained in its current state might have done that.  I won’t take that away from anyone who feels that way.  But for me?  Even if there’s plenty of game in this game -- 10-15 hours, ballpark -- there’s something missing.  By and large, that something is its story.


Let’s start with the good.  I like Miriam, and think she’s a solid main character.  Though she’s been out of the loop for a decade, she marches through a cursed castle for the sake of saving an old friend who’s fallen from grace.  Determined though she may be to end this horrible night, that doesn’t make her a soulless automaton.  She carries herself with enough poise and decorum to mourn the dead, able to offer both sympathy and kindness to the survivors throughout Arvantville’s remains. 

That said, there’s also a pinch of pizzazz to her, so she’s not 100% dour all the time.  The girl likes her food; whether she’s lamenting not getting anything from old Susie or doing a little dance when she cooks something herself, there’s clearly more to her than just a victim of circumstance.  Makes you wonder what her life would be like without all that Shardbinder nonsense.  Maybe she’d be a chef?  Or a baker?  I mean, given her skill with weapons -- up to and including boots with hidden blades -- she clearly knows how to handle a knife.  And a teacup.


Something else I like about the game’s story is…uh…

Well, what really sticks out to me is…er…

What sets Bloodstained apart from the rest (besides its pedigree) is…mmmmmmmmmmmm…

…Can I get a rain check?  Or the script?  The script would help.

After Miriam, the most remarkable thing about Bloodstained is that it has David Hayter as a samurai, and not even trying to do anything besides “Snake, but he’s got a katana now”.  I mean, character-wise, who have you got?  Johannes is there as a supporter/mission control, but he’s just kind of…fine.  Old man Alfred’s bumping around the castle with schemes and probably-not-street-legal magic, but he’s just kind of…there.  Anna, the girl in the shop, offers next to nothing.  OD gives you books that boost your stats (and the ID card you need to ride the train), but…eh. 


I can’t even blame Bloodstained that much for its middle-of-the-road cast.  It’s the nature of the beast, plunging its fangs into the code and shaking it every which way.  Because you spend INSANE amounts of time exploring the castle by yourself (with no natural, easy way for anyone on your side to reach you), there’s no time and no chance to develop the story any further than the basic context and a few plot beats along the way. 

Is that true of other Castlevania games?  Given my time with and (vague) memories of Dawn of Sorrow, I’d say so.  But it doesn’t make for compelling storytelling -- motivation to see the tale through to the end.  That would be a fair trade if the gameplay held up, but like I said last time, the lack of difficulty after a certain point makes what should be a harrowing adventure and clash against hellish denizens into a formality.  Going through the motions, instead of steadily building up the plot and escalating toward a fierce finale.


To be fair, I kind of have to grade on a curve.  Even if this game made a ton of money via Kickstarter, it still had limits to what it could do.  Expecting it to be able to do everything with S-tier results is just plain unreasonable.  Full-on cutscenes are sparse, irrespective of the gameplay loop.  There’s very little room for excess characters, because that would mean excess models and voice acting.  And of course, it’s not hard to imagine that gameplay was king for the dev team.  Trying to go purely cinematic kneecapped plenty of AAA games before, so it’s nice to know this one dodged those self-inflicted wounds.

And to its credit, there was at least an attempt.  You’ll find bookcases randomly scattered throughout the castle that fill you in on the backstory behind the Shardbinders, alchemists, and the tragedy from ten years ago -- chronicles of a group pushed to the edge by an evolving society, and their slipping grip on the power they once commanded.  If you read through them all, you’ll get a good picture of the universe the devs tried to build.  But, at the same time, it’s still basically a bunch of datalogs.  A cheap and easy way to tell players about what happened in the past instead of showing it.  Not the most exciting method of story delivery, and even then, it’s delivering a story that’s not that compelling overall.  Guys, I have eyes.  I can basically infer that it’s all gone belly-up.


Pretty much the only card Bloodstained’s story has to play is making you figure out who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy -- revelations and betrayals that should leave an impact, but…well, don’t.  Alfred’s an ornery old fogey obsessed with getting back a mystic book, yet despite his role in past tragedies, he still scrapes for redemption before he bites the dust (partially because he became a good guy at some point).  But he’s not enough of a presence to justify any strong feelings one way or the other. 

Same goes for David Hayter’s Zangetsu.  Sometimes it felt like the work put into him started and stopped with the character design; he fares better than others thanks to being two boss fights and helping you rush a train, but when he seemingly kicks the bucket near the end -- and vocally entrusts Miriam to save the day -- I couldn’t sum up feelings any stronger than “Yeah, okay, bye.”  Well, at least he helped me get one step closer to the true ending.


…Along with a walkthrough I found online, but whatever.


I feel like it’s not even worth getting too deep into Gebel and Gremory -- and for two of the game’s main villains, that’s a problem.  Turns out Miriam’s old, kindhearted pal Gebel didn’t start the ritual of the night of his own will; he’s still a good guy, while Gremory is the true mastermind whose goal is to claim Miriam’s body (and superior Shardbinder powers) as her own.  Guess what?  Didn’t work.  I wouldn’t worry about it too much, though, because the real villain, and the truer true mastermind is Dominique, AKA the exorcist and improbably-costumed nun who runs the shop in Arvantville.

It is impossible to not sniff out Dominique as a traitor.  Even if you look past her character design, she has a bad habit of appearing in places no normal human should be able to access (and even if she has combat prowess, she’s still popping up in diabolical secret laboratories before Miriam reaches/unlocks them in the first place).  So between that, her looks, and the fact that I’ve been trained to expect a betrayal by seemingly innocuous allies -- with a probability multiplier by way of her being a member of the church, and thus two steps short of being an evil pope -- I called it way early.  The saving grace would have been her motivation, which in this case is a lust for power born from the sense that God has abandoned her; unfortunately, just like everyone else, she doesn’t have the time needed to fully establish herself as a villain, threat, or character.  She’s just filling out a role.

Also, she’s responsible for summoning the final boss, Bael, who -- no joke -- almost made me burst into laughter.  Compared to the last Castlevania boss I beat, this one is way sillier.  I don’t care if that’s how he’s classically represented; like, guys, don’t make your demonic overlord and cap to your Gothic horror adventure have a spinning cat head.


*sigh*

You know what?  This is a new feeling.

I’m a guy that doesn’t really suffer from writer’s block.  It’s rarely, if ever, a matter of me not knowing what to write.  How to write it, maybe.  Overcoming the limitations of my mortal flesh and writing even when I’m due for a coffin, certainly.  But I usually have a clear vision of how to get from Word A to Word B.  The route may change along the way, but I can get there.  Crucially, my greatest strength (and weakness) is that I can flood that route with as many words as I can imagine.  Word count limits were made to be broken.

But with Bloodstained?  This is a rare occurrence when I’m struggling to find more to say about it.  Something more substantial than “it’s good” or “it has problems”.  Depending on how you look at it, that’s either a blessing or a curse.  It’s good, so there’s no reason to go on and on about it (which is more than I can say about certain other games).  Or, the dark variant: there’s nothing to really talk about besides thoughtless ranting.  There are grounds for both, I think.  Yet, despite everything I’ve said, thought, and implied, I think I know exactly how I want to finish this post.  In the wake of a game that doesn’t need five thousand words to describe it, I’ll pare down all of my thoughts into a single sentence.

I hope this game gets a sequel -- because I want to see it build up from the foundation it already has.





…That wasn’t the sentence I want to end on.  This is.

Here’s “Thriller” for no reason besides “’cause I wanna”.



No comments:

Post a Comment